Adventure House is committed to providing safe, decent and affordable housing as an opportunity through involvement in the Clubhouse. Adventure House has 29 apartments at 3 different locations.
Having a “place of your own” is an important rite of passage. Obtaining safe, decent and affordable housing has been difficult for persons with mental illness. Adventure House opened a Supported Housing Program in 1989. Beginning with an 11 -unit apartment complex built with a HUD grant and operated with state mental health funding, Adventure House began offering housing to members who needed additional support to maintain their own apartments.
Since 1989, Adventure House has continued to grow the number of supported housing units available to members. These apartments feature reduced rental fees as well as access to transportation and a 24-hour staff on-call system for members.
Park Avenue Terrace Apartments
708 Park Avenue
Shelby, NC 28150
First supported apartments for Adventure House members. All 11 original residents moved in on May 1, 1989, the day after completion of the project.
Charles Road Apartments #1
831 Charles Road
Shelby, NC 28152
Our first 8-unit apartment complex on Charles Road opened to resident members in May 2001.
Charles Road Apartments #2
833 Charles Road
Shelby, NC 28152
The second unit on Charles Road, a 10-unit complex, opened in November of 2002.
In the Housing Unit, members and staff…
- Take apartment applications. All applicants must be members of Adventure House.
- Complete all necessary paperwork for application and residency.
- Collect rent.
- Coordinate maintenance for all apartments.
- Supports for apartment residents include but are not limited to…
- An increase or decrease in supports according to changing needs of residents.
- 24-hour on-call supports.
- Community support services through the units of the Clubhouse that are provided by members and staff.
- Furniture and household items that come with the apartment.
- Utilities included in rent.
- Subsidy so rent is affordable.
- Transportation for grocery shopping, bill paying and personal errands twice weekly.